April Anime: Better than Expected


Yeah, I've decided to make a monthly overview of all the currently airing shows I'm watching - I actually got the idea from webkid94. I don't know if this is such a bad idea or what but it does give me some place to complain or praise series I have no plans on blogging because of many reasons.

When I saw the list of anime this season, I knew instantly that I'd love most of them. There're lots of different genres available and a lot of them are  not always offered. On a better look of these anime offered, I have to admit that a lot of them have greatly surprised me which is why I really love Spring Anime Season - I was able to say this because Spring Anime were also my favorite last year :3 What I also like about this season is that I get a lot of time watching being away from school for almost 2 whole months (April - May).

Anyway, this post will contain my overview on all the airing anime I'm watching this season. This includes my first impressions on all Spring Anime and my impressions on the anime I'm watching from the previous seasons as well - how they have been and are they going on a good direction or are they going pretty bad(: The anime are arranged according to the days they are aired (Sundays - Saturdays) Get the idea? :)


Uchuu Kyoudai (5 of ???)
Uchuu Kyoudai has definitely surprised me by all means. I honestly didn't expect anything from this because I disliked the art when I first looked at it and the idea of being an astronaut didn't catch my attention. BUT after reading a couple of positive reviews from the first episode, I decided to do so and I was so glad that I watched it. Yes, I'm not into astronaut stuffs, NASA, the moon or whatever what I really like about this show is that it's an inspiration piece. Yes, I'm an older sibling and I'm a younger one as well. When Mutta said that, "the older brother should always be ahead of the younger one…" and saw him being below his brother, I know what he feels.


After Bakuman ended, I sure am glad to quickly find another really inspiring series with that same thing in mind, reaching your dreams. Yes, it’s not about the length it takes you to get there, it's the happiness and satisfaction you get ones you get there(: Uchuu Kyoudai is a must to watch this season. It has over-the-top comedy and very moving drama. It's about dreams, working hard in reaching them and never loosing sight of that dream.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 (29 of ???)
This new arc about Heavens Arena sure is interesting. The look of the arena (and the announcer) awfully reminds me of Yu Yu Hakusho which was done by the same mangaka. Anyway, with how things are going right now, this arc particularly is the one that I wasn't able to watch in the original series AND I'm definitely liking this. With how episode 29 ended, looks like the real battle and training is about to begin.


Hiiro no Kakera (4 of 26)
After watchig the first episode around a month back, I thought that this harem could have at least a little more potential than UtaPri BUT turns out, Hiiro no Kakera really is just another otome game turned anime. Looking over these past few episodes, I have to admit that the animation did improved quite well comparing to the first episode though the story didn't became anything interesting at all AND no, I don't see any romance here (if ever there is). Anyway, background music is pretty good. I always like relaxing-style backgrounds. Will I continue watching this? Yes. I still don't have plans on placing it on-hold though if the story doesn't progress in an interesting way, I'm definitely putting this on-hold. I mean, it's a 2season anime for crying out loud. This should get interesting. Somehow.


Enough with the rants. I wouldn't recommend Hiiro no Kakera as an interesting anime to watch this season. As of now. There're more shows out there worth the time and I'm not counting this to be part of them any sooner unless they'll pull off some interesting romance here and make Kasuga Tamaki (Miyake Marie) a better character.

Hyou-ka (2 of 21)
After watching two episodes of school style mystery, I have to admit that I have taken a liking on Hyouka. With all 4MCs have been briefly introduce, the next episodes will surely be a lot fancier and funnier. Episode 2 surely was fun. I was literally laughing a lot. As for the heavy dialogues that everyone has been going about, the fist episode could be a little heavy but the 2nd one was just all fun. AND still, I feel really weird but whenever I think about their mysteries, I always think about PCP from Bakuman. HAHA. I need to solve this unknown thought of mine. I'm curious :3 HAHA. The characters are definitely lovable. I like all of them. Also, the art is very outstanding most especially those flowers and fancy scene that comes up whenever Chitanda Eru (Satou Satomi) is curious.


Anyway, this show definitely has a lot of potential. With the main plot which I think won't be coming until the second half, I'm looking forward to more simple school type mysteries to come :3

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (4 of 12)
The atmosphere that Tasogare Otome x Amnesia gives reminds me of Another from last season but Tasogare Otome, on the other hand, doesn't really focus on horror. In fact, I don't think it's even going to the horror genre because it's really funny. As of now, I'm seeing a good harem here. AND of course, when it's a harem anime, romance should be included and I have to admit that I'm really enjoying it. Each characters are fun and Okonogi Momoe (Fukuen Misato) has got to be the funniest. I'm pretty sure that sooner the story will go on a more serious tone since a mystery must be solve. Another thing that is very recognizable from this series is the very beautiful art. I've seen the PV and I loved it but I had doubts since the producer is Silver Link (Baka to Test, C3) and I wasn't fond of their art there but this one is entirely different. It's really outstanding :3


Anyway, this show got some good potential. It has a couple of fan service here and there but the comedy and romance are pretty great. Also, I'm really into the mystery of Kanoe Yuuko's (Hara Yumi) death.

Kimi to Boku S2 (4 of 13)
I was really happy when I found out that Kimi to Boku will have a sequel. Ever since the first episode of the first season, I've already liked this. Now for the second season, I have to admit that other than episode 2, Kimi to Boku had always been the same old light comedy slice of life anime. BUT I'm not saying that it has gotten bad or anything. For these first 4 episodes, it had been and roller coaster ride but they're not necessarily going down. A little boring, yes. But still very moving. Like I said in my episode 4 thoughts, Kimi to Boku is really good at portraying some real life situations out there and no, they're not doing them mainly for comedy. BUT yes that is a part of it. Actually episode 4 became so special to me since it's a siblings related kind of thing and I loved it. It moved me and I could even write a reflection paper about it. HAHA. But I won't.


Enough said. If you've watched the first season, this second season is no different. You get light comedy slice of life, a little drama and romance. With a lot more episodes to go, I'm pretty sure we'll learn more about each character and I'm still looking forward to more romance here :3 I seriously need a Yuta x Takahashi here. xD

ZETMAN (5 of 13)
I watched ZETMAN mainly because my favorite seiyuu will be voicing a lead. AND yes, he's doing a pretty good job in voicing that somehow pathetic character but on the good side of things, despite the negative comments I've read about ZETMAN when it began, I'm definitely liking this. For someone who has never read the manga, I can definitely sense that the story is being rushed but that doesn't stop me from appreciating this anime. I still love the action and suspense every episode. I really like the 4th and 5th episodes and I'm really glad that ZETMAN won't be 100% dark and serious. They added a little comedy that I thought only Amagi Kouga (Miyano Mamoru) will do. I was glad to see Kanzaki Jin make this shown a little lighter BUT of course with the theme of the story, it won't stick to that light moments for long.


With an overall look as of episode 5, I see ZETMAN as a pretty decent show. It could be something not for everyone most especially to those who wouldn't want to watch series that talks about justice and stuff.

Jormungand (2 of 12)
The comparison of Jormungand and Black Lagoon sure has gotten into me and if I'm going to choose which of the two I like more? No second thoughts, I'm going for Black Lagoon. Anyway, the first two episodes of Jormungand had become pretty interesting. They've made a little introductions and I'm looking forward to looking deeper on the characters, specifically Koko Hekmatyar (Itou Shizuka) and Johnathan Mar (Tamura Mutsumi). The art is pretty great and I really like it. As for the action, no complains there(:


Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OF THE DEAD (4 of 10)
I watched this sequel to give KoreZom a chance to regain itself because the conclusion of the first season was pretty weak and the last episode was purely fan service and add to that the OVA that was also purely fan service. ANYWAY, with how this season is going, with 4 episodes aired, I have to admit that it's pretty good. As of now, I don't see any direction and Ms. Fairy has gone missing! She wasn't in episode 4! >A< Whatever. HAHA. KoreZom isn't really an outstanding show but I do enjoy it a lot. Also, with Mystletainn-sensei broken, this season has become more fun because the entire school  knows that Aikawa Ayumu (Majima Junji) is a cross-dressing pervert. xD


Medaka Box (1 of 12)
When I read that Medaka Box will be about the student council granting the students' request, I actually thought that this will be similar to SKET Dance BUT after watching episode 1, I just couldn't bring myself to continue with episode 2. If you're thinking that it's because it's a bit of an ecchi type of anime, no. I don’t actually mind that but what really gets into me is the character of Kurokami Medaka (Toyosaki Aki). I know that there're more characters to be introduce and I want to catch up to this immediately. Probably soon enough I'll continue watching this and see if there are any improvements.


SKET Dance (55 of ???)
This season of SKET Dance hasn't really been much interesting other than the hints of romance in the series though I'm not personally looking forward to them. Also, despite the obvious tsundere character, I really like the appearance of Agata Saaya (Hanazawa Kana :3) and I honestly don't like the continuous appearance of Misora Remi (Tange Sakura). Anyway, despite my character likings, the comedy had been pretty much the same which keeps me into watching this.


As for those who haven't started with SKET Dance, with its 1yr run, it's still pretty easy to catch up, if you're up for some real time comedy and a little bit of drama, SKET Dance is a really recommended anime :D

Sakamichi no Apollon (3 of ???)
Sakamichi no Apollon is also an anime that has taken me by surprise. I've disliked the music genre because of the anime I've watched with that genre so I have decided not to watch this in priority BUT after reading a number of positive comments about how great this show will be and even receiving a recommendation, I decided to go and watch it immediately. AND to my surprise, despite the settings and art that didn't entirely pleased me, I love the music and the story. As of episode 3, the story has been progressing well and it's taking the romance route. Well, if that'll be the main focus of the story and have jazz at the side, I'll still definitely like this. BUT I don't think this will end right there. I'm pretty positive that there's more.


Tsuritama (3 of ???)
An all boys slice of life seems to be a trend nowadays but Tsuritama tries to separate itself by adding something really interesting that Nichibros and Kimi to Boku doesn't have. It's the element of sci-fi. HAHA. Yeah, Tsuritama isn't just about boys fishing, they have an alien with them and that makes a huge difference in the flow of the story. Add to that story that very fancy and funny characters and really bright art and you got something outstanding this season. As of now, I'm not entirely sure that Tsuritama can make my top anime this season but I'm pretty positive that this has potential. It has some pretty innocent drama and really great comedy that goes in between the comedy that Nichibros and Kimi to Boku gives. What I mean here is not too senseless and not too slice-of-life either.


Tsuritama is a very recommended anime. I'm pretty sure that there're will be more moving scenes and more interesting things will come. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Yamada Akira (Sugita Tomokazu) to join Haru's (Irino Miyu) little merry making :3

Acchi Kocchi (4 of ???)
I was really surprised to see myself loving this show. I actually decided to watch this because of a certain seiyuu that'll be voice a main character and turns out this type of anime appeals to me. I really love everything about this show. The cute romance, cute characters, endless nosebleeds, dense male lead that appeals to all the girls, and a lot more things. I'd say that Acchi Kocchi practically for those who like cute romance + endless comedy.


Sankarea (4 of ???)
Sankarea is the fourth show I decided to blog this season because it has really caught my attention. I really like how Sankarea gives us a really out of the box male lead who'll only like a zombie girl because of his over-the-top fetish for zombies. Also, I like how Sankarea offers an entirely different zombie, a zombie with consciousness which is shown in episode 4 though things doesn't really end there since the preview does gives us something pretty interesting :3 Anyway, I love each characters in Sankarea except for Rea's parents, I guess. AND the art is really outstanding. Looks like Studio Deen has made this their best anime for this season has partially neglected both Hiiro no Kakera and KoreZom.


Sankarea has got to be one of the shows that should be watched this season :3 The comedy, romance, drama, fan service are all well made. The characters are pretty good as well and the art is just great :D

Kuroko no Basuke (4 of 25)
Kuroko no Basuke is the first sports genre anime that I've really gotten into. I've always disliked the genre but after getting a couple of positive reviews from this show, I've decided to watch it(: I can't really compare Kuroko no Basuke to other sports genre anime since I haven't really watch a lot of them but I do have to admit that it is a typical basket ball anime. What really gets me into this anime is the interesting idea of the generation of miracles and the really good characters specifically Kuroko Tetsuya (Ono Kensho). I like how Kuroko is said to be a really strong member of the generation of miracles despite his poor stamina and inability to shoot. The art is pretty Shounen JUMP-ish and I have gotten used to it and animation is pretty great as expected from Production I.G.


On an overall look, Kuroko no Basuke is a really great sports anime and a must watch for both fans and non-fans of the sports genre. It's very easy to like and understand. This is practically one of the must to watch shows this season :D

Overall.
I was really glad to see many anime turning out pretty good and still a lot more having potentials on getting better. As of now, I plan to continue watching all of these. With a lot more time in my hand, I just might be able to add Mobile Suit Gundam AGE and Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal in here since I'm definitely running late on both. Anyway, I'm pretty positive that by this May, most of these anime will give its specific directions since many of them are mainly 1-cour. As for Medaka Box which I have already gotten tired of after the 1st episode, I'll try to watch episode 2 sometime this weekend then decided whether I'll be watching it this season or placing it on-hold(:
Series I haven't touched: Saki: Achiga-hen, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Natsuiro Kiseki, Accel World, Upotte!! and Nazo no Kanojo X
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...