Shingeki no Kyojin: outstanding first episode, will Production I.G be able to keep this up?


Not to my surprise, Shingeki no Kyojin started off with a really outstanding opening episode. The challenge here now is how it keep its momentum up high.

What I immediately noticed from Shingeki no Kyojin is the villagers' lack of sense of danger. Despite how the 50meters wall was able to keep everyone alive for years, it's a surprising idea how even the guards seem lax on their job. I guess I'll be siding with Eren (Yuki Kaji) and Armin's (Inoue Marina) belief here. Isn't it just right to think that their lives must not be limited to that walls that keeps them in safety. Moreover, isn't it wrong to think that the titans can never get break their wall? Being surrounded by those titans for years, everyday can always feel like anything can happen - like everyday is a big question of whether the titans will be able to break in or not.

With an opening episode as striking as this, it's no doubt that this series will be one hell of a drama series. I'm really eyeing on Yuki Kaji on giving another outstanding performance on Eren here. I'm seeing interesting revenge thoughts from Eren here along with all the people he'll be teaming up in the Legion (was it?). I still don't see anything interesting from Armin aside from being in the same curiosity and mindset as Eren. As for Mikasa (Ishikawa Yui), seeing the death of Eren's mother must have given her the reason to fight as well. Even though she has been stopping Eren from joining the Legion, this horrifying event will probably push her to joining as well and fight for all the people that died from the Eoten's attack.

The question now here is, will Production I.G together with director Araki Tetsurou be able to keep each episode if not better, on par with this one? Taking another look at what Araki-san has done, I see Guilty Crown, Highschool of the Dead and Death Note as series I can still remember quite well. Admittedly, Death Note's adaptation was undeniably good. It wasn't really great yet not really bad either. As for Guilty Crown and HoTD which both started well but weren't able keep up make me worried. With that in mind, I'd still like to enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin since it was off to a good start. I'll just be here crossing my fingers to it won't be bad pass the second half.


Visually, Shingeki no Kyojin isn't the most beautiful this season (Devil Survivor 2 is seriously outstanding in this category) but its style definitely fits the series well. The art and animation style practically adds up to the horrifying atmosphere it has created. The designs of the titans has got to be very interesting. Their skinless body seriously adds up to their fearsome characters.

Overall, Shingeki no Kyojin has definitely lived up for all the hyped that has been placed on it. The overall atmosphere of the series was really great topped with Kaji's voice acting and that pretty nice art. I guess you can call Shingeki no Kyojin the series that everyone should be watching.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...