[REVIEW] Langston’s Daughters

full tour schedule can be found at CBB Book Promotions

Series: The Lockwood Legacy #1
Author:
Juliette Harper
Genre:
adult, romance, contemporary, realistic fiction, mystery
Published:
December 3, 2014
Publisher:
Skye House Publishing
Purcahse: Amazon | B&N | Smashworlds | Kobo
Kate, Jenny, and Mandy. Langston Lockwood’s daughters. His tyranny drove them away. His suicide draws them home. They inherit his land, his millions, and his mysteries. Meet the women of the Rocking L and the men who come into their lives. Together, they begin the journey to discover the truth about The Lockwood Legacy. From the pain of the past they find the strength to build a dynasty.



*             *             *

At first, I regretted asking for this book. The first few chapters just bored me. The three main characters, Kate, Jenny, and Mandy, were being introduced. I was like: blah-blah-blah. Can we please move on? I’m just not caring about these girls and their father’s fave hat falling on dirt or something. GOOD THING I DIDN’T DROP IT.

Reading Langston’s Daughters felt like watching a contemporary movie. There’s a small town where everyone almost knows everyone and news spread fast, there’s a ranch, three girls developing their own romance stories, and a very intriguing mystery ahead of them.

It had a slow start for me. But by chapter 4, it started to pick up pace. I started caring about the characters and the mystery behind the death of their father. I thought that there’ll be a feud among the three of them when their father’s will was revealed but things just went on smoothly which I found odd. There was no struggle for them. I was honestly hoping to see that part.

Setting that aside, the mystery behind the death of their father is the most interesting part of this book. I came from not caring to eagerly wanting to know what happened. From that moment on, I just read page after page. I like how things were slowly being revealed about the death of their father to the three girls just digging through the history of their father they seem to not know about.

I had mixed feelings about the girls but generally I like the three of them. Kate, the oldest sister, is someone who wants to be acknowledged by their father. Once their father’s will have been read, I really felt her eagerness to keep the ranch. Their ranch is like her life. Jenny, on the other hand, is said to be very similar to their mother. Jenny hated her father so much. He didn’t favor her at all so she did what she can until she was able to move out. For me, Jenny is this short tempered yet very practical girl. She seems to have this natural trait of being able to handle things on her own. Finally, Mandy, the youngest of three, is the one their father favors so much. In beginning, she felt like some spoiled kid who wants Starbucks as her neighbor, the mall as her exercise, and the internet as her best friend. But later on, it feels like there’s more to Mandy than just privileges. Mandy seems to be a soft and fragile girl.

Langston’s Daughters is told in a third person multi-POV. It’s not confusing at all but it just didn’t click with me immediately. The multi-POV was a great way of introducing key people in the story. This also gave way to developing smoothly the romance side of the story. The romance was really sweet. My fave pair has to be Jenny and Josh. They’re just adorable. And the way they met was just so cute, cliché, and unforgettable.

The ending was a real cliffhanger. I was there gripping my e-reader as I look forward to the great revelation of everything (as if the whole thing about the father wasn’t great enough for me) when things just went on a very unexpected route that now is the moment I can finally say that there’s more questions than answers.

Overall, Langston’s Daughters is a very great contemporary mystery that involves family secrets. I think that’s a good way to describe this lovely book. There’s also a sweet romance, just in case you miss that in my review. Langston’s Daughters is definitely a MUST READ that’s for sure.

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) the very intriguing mystery, (2) the three girls and their unique characters, (3) the sweet romance, (4) the multi-POV, (5) the story their father kept for so long, (6) that really great climax (I was like HA take that John! but wait… now what? WHAT?)

What I Didn’t Like: (1) the slow start, I didn’t immediately care about the girls, (2) that cliffhanger! OHMYTHATCLIFFHANGER (well, I’m pretty sure this rant is a positive side though), (3) the easy acceptance and adjustment of both Mandy and Jenny to ranch life seems off, odd, or quick.



*             *             *
ABOUT JULIETTE HARPER
website | twitter 
Juliette Harper is the pen name used by the writing team of Patricia Pauletti and Rana K. Williamson. Like the characters of their debut series, The Lockwood Legacy, Juliette is a merging of their creative energies. 
Pauletti, an Easterner of Italian descent, is an accomplished musician with an eye for art and design. Williamson, a Texan from a long line of hardheaded Scots, knows the world of the Lockwoods like the back of her hand. 
“We decided to write under a pen name because neither one of us by ourselves could have created Kate, Jenny, Mandy, and their world,” says Pauletti. “Juliette is a little bit of us both. We want to be her when we grow up.” 
“Patti teases me that I just don’t want to own up to writing a book with romance in it,” Williamson adds, “but that’s not true. I like the Lockwood women and the way they tackle everything life throws at them. And before we’re done, they’ll be ducking a lot. I imagine coming into the office every day and saying, ‘Okay Juliette, what’s going to happen now?’ She tells us, and we get it down on paper.”




This event was organized by CBB Book Promotions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...