[REVIEW] And Then There Were None

Series: N/A
Author:
Agatha Christie
Genre:
 adult, classics, mystery, thriller, suspense, detective
Published:
 November 27, 2013
Purchase: Amazon

"Ten . . ."
Ten strangers are lured to an isolated island mansion off the Devon coast by a mysterious "U.N. Owen." 
"Nine . . ."
At dinner a recorded message accuses each of them in turn of having a guilty secret, and by the end of the night one of the guests is dead. 
"Eight . . ."
Stranded by a violent storm, and haunted by a nursery rhyme counting down one by one . . . one by one they begin to die. 
"Seven . . ."
Who among them is the killer and will any of them survive?  

*             *             *

My first book by Agatha Christie was Nemesis. It was good but I didn't loved Miss Marple. This, And There Were None, is my second book and I ended up really falling in love with this. It made me want to pick up more Agatha Christie books!

And Then There Were None really blew me away. It was a brilliantly written and elaborate mystery. Since it's a really popular novel by Agatha Christie, I have set my expectations. Right from the very first page, I started reading between the lines ready to make some guesses.

Right from the beginning of Part Two, I was already reading intently. When the record was played, all their 'crimes' were said and someone dies, I was immediately hooked. Even though the characters weren't accusing each other for the time being, I got into thinking that it's one of them. This idea got stuck to me all throughout my reading.

When things started going crazy and everyone tries their very best to calm down, I was up all night trying to finish this thing. It made me crazy not to know who's doing this. The development of the guilt of certain characters were really interesting to read. At first, you'll just get snippets of those things that they've done but as more people are murdered, the guilt that's building inside of them escalates into something that ended up taking control of them inside that island.

One question lingers in my mind while reading: how?

I mean sure it's important to answer the question who but for some reasons, this book literally had me asking how. As I read through, I was able to set aside a character that could be 'it' but then he died. Now what? My mind went on and on trying to figure it out. I just read on, of course, and think that it's just so brilliant. Everything is well calculated and the explanation at the end perfectly fall into place.

OVERALL, And Then There Were None is a well thought-out mystery-thriller. It kept me hooked right from the beginning. It made me ask questions, look at everything that's going on, and grip my book to tight while holding my breath as I read through. This is certainly a recommended read if you enjoy thriller-mystery.

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) the well thought-of mystery, (2) the internal dilemma of the characters, (3) the very thrilling pace, (4) the development of their internal conflicts (their guilt, their search for the murderer)

What I Didn’t Like: N/A



follow links:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...